SOLO is the ORIGINAL Sign of Good Times.
Originally designed to ensure public health and safety, small disposable paper cones were manufactured and distributed by Robert Hulsemen, founder of the SOLO Cup Company in 1936.
Over the years SOLO produced a variety of products and materials, moving into plastics in the early 70s when SOLO first released the iconic red SOLO Cup, along with yellow and peach. The red cup was a success with families and businesses alike and has evolved into a full portfolio of branded products that bring people together for food, fun and good times.
SOLO is now a brand, not a company, but is a beloved iconic product line within Dart Container Corporation. SOLO’s devoted fans post over 400,000 photos a year of their good times with our products and we hope to continue to earn that loyalty.
A SOLO Cup History
- 1936: Leo Hulseman founded the SOLO Cup Company, making paper cone cups
- 1970s: Hulseman family expanded the paper product portfolio to include plastic cups, first in red, yellow and peach
- 1976: The iconic plastic SOLO Cup was patented
- 1980–2000: SOLO Cup brand expanded to consumer and foodservice supply
- 2008: SOLO launches Bare® and a variety of Eco-Forward products for home and foodservice use made using recycled, recyclable, compostable or renewable materials
- 2009: Solo Cup Company acquires SF Holdings, including the Sweetheart brand and the epic JAZZ design
- 2012: SOLO Cup Company purchased by Dart Container Corporation greatly expanding the product line
- Today and Future: Dart Container Corporation began construction of a new Innovation Center at headquarters in Mason, Michigan to continue to innovate and evolve, ensuring that the SOLO brand remains a go-to connector for food, fun, friendships and more
The SOLO brand, now part of Dart Container, has proven to be a timeless, iconic, global symbol of food, fun and friendships.
How does SOLO inspire so many smiles?
The following accolades might provide some clues:
“The History of the Solo Cup, From the South Side to Star Wars”
—Chicago Magazine, May 2018
“A Modern Engineering Marvel – the Red SOLO Cup”
–Washington Post, Jan 2017
“A Brief History of the SOLO Cup – Everyone’s Favorite Party Staple”
–Vice, Jun 2016
“Top 100 American Icons of all time” (SOLO Cup, right next to Betty White!)
–People Magazine, Jun 2016
“The Red SOLO Cup: Every Party’s Most Popular Guest”
–NPR, Sep 2011
"Humble Masterpieces", a design exhibition, honored SOLO Cup’s Traveler Lid
–Museum of Modern Art (MoMA) in New York City, 2004
For press inquiries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.